The FIG expands
LAUSANNE (SUI), FIG Office, June 11, 2013: The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) today officially filed plans for a new building on land that it owns adjacent to the current headquarters at 12 Avenue de la Gare, Lausanne. The proposed construction will provide enough space to accommodate a growing labour force, with 40 per cent of the development destined for the rental market. It is an investment in keeping with the rapid development of the Federation’s activities through its 133 member federations on five continents.
In accordance with established procedures the project is now in the hands of the local authority, who will be launching a public inquiry. The first sod should be turned at the end of 2013, following the period for approval of the project, and if the construction schedule is adhered to an inauguration would take place in the latter half of 2015.
Switzerland since 1946
Founded in 1881, the FIG is the oldest international sports federation. It successively conducted business from its “home town” of Antwerp (BEL), then Paris (FRA) and then Warsaw (POL), where the seat was partially destroyed during the Second World War.
The Federation resumed its activities in 1946 from the homes of successive Secretary-Generals, first in Geneva, then in Lyss in 1973 and, from December 1990, in Moutier, where it employed five staff. In 2007, the FIG Executive decided to transfer its headquarters to Lausanne, the Olympic capital, the decision being ratified on 7 July 2008. Currently the FIG has 27 employees and manages the activities of seven gymnastic disciplines, including four Olympic disciplines.